Wednesday, October 29, 2008

the last firefly



late this summer
when the sun was not so high
the year’s last firefly
flew down from the sky
he landed on my nose
close to my eye
so close i could see
he was starting to cry

my oh my!
why do you cry
I asked the fly

because, he said with a sigh,
summer is over
and I must say goodbye

try to stay dry
my bright little fly,
please tell me why
must you say goodbye

i will tell you he said
and I won't even lie
summer is over and
I must just say goodbye

if you stay, we can play
I will teach you to spy
and maybe my mom
will give you some pie

I would love to he said
but please don't try
summer is over
I simply must just say goodbye

then he flapped his wings
and started to fly
and away he went
high into the sky


GOODBYE
FIREFLY
please don't cry
I'll see you next summer
and we shall eat pie

No comments:

Post a Comment