Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Haunting Chernobyl Photo Essays


Two great photo essays on Chernobyl disaster area. Read them both and see if you get those feelings Mark describes in his "Final Thoughts."

The thought of writing about those feelings and the humanity of it all is just so overwhelming. I think I will just stay here under my rock for a while.

http://kiddofspeed.com/default.htm


http://www.chernobylee.com/articles/chernobyl/my-journey-to-chernobyl-1.php





Note the little gas mask on the window sill.

2 comments:

  1. She did not actually ride her motorcycle through the Chernobyl Zone. Motorcycles are forbidden in the Zone due to radioactive dust around the roads. A tour guide from the Ukrainian government agency Chernobyl InterInform remembered her from a regular tour and wondered why she brought a motorcycle helmet with her.

    Still, most of the photos and information in her story are real and have helped bring attention back to the consequences of the Chernobyl disaster.

    I personally visited the Chernobyl area for two days in June 2006 with a friend and former resident of Pripyat. We toured the Chernobyl Plant (including the Reactor 4 control room), several of the abandoned villages, and Pripyat. I have posted a photo journal of my trip at:

    My Journey to Chernobyl: 20 Years After the Disaster

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a minute I thought that was Nick's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete